Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Prague Bound!

Firstly, my blog may lack in updates over the next few days as I will be in Prague with Adrienne visiting my wonderful friend Monika!! I'll be back in A'dam Saturday night.

I just have to vent on something for a moment... Recycling... not popular in Western Europe... apparently. They don't pick up recycling at our apartment and I've had this dilemma of what to do with my paper and plastics. I can't. I just can't. I can't put paper in the garbage. Laura and I even discussed this oh-so-important issue while in Paris. I have to close my eyes every time I put paper, plastic or glass in the garbage cans.

Dilemma solved... for the most part.

I found a recycling unit on my way to church last Sunday. But seriously - this little thing is supposed to serve the entire neighbourhood? I mean, I didn't see many of these around. At home one of those units would fill up within a matter of a week or two!













Let's RECYCLE more people!

Check out these huge tidbits from Stefania's dinner last Friday!




Italian Dinner!!



Tonight my bike was misbehaving. It must have been mad at me. In other words, it broke. A little piece of plastic that is supposed to hold the tire fender off the tire broke so the fender kept falling down and locking the wheel, preventing the bike from moving. Great. I ended up walking to the bus stop (which isn't a short walk) slumped over my bike holding the fender off my wheel. One person stopped his car to ask if everything was alright. I replied: "Yes thank you. I just need to get to the bus" and he goes "then ride your bike. It'll be much faster!" and he drives away. 

So I get to the bus stop, back is aching from having walked bent over looking like a weirdo, and I ask the bus driver if I can bring the bike onto the bus with me. He was like "uh, NO!" and I was like "please, my bike is broken and I can't ride it" and he goes "well that's not my problem" and shuts the door. Wow, thanks. He wasn't even polite about it. I don't know what the problem was - the bus wasn't even busy and the buses even have a designated open area on the bus for strollers and wheelchairs. I don't think I was asking a lot. I mean, my bike was broken. I was in a pickle. So... I walked my bike home. Took me almost an hour and a half to get back. At least it wasn't raining. Here was my temporary fix - tying a plastic bag to the fender, which I had to keep tightening as I walked home.




And since I was walking home, I took a couple pictures. Here's one - I pass this everyday =)



Prague in less than 24 hours!!! I'm flying with EasyJet. Round trip cost less than 80 euros. Good deal.

I will blog again when I'm back in Amsterdam. Until then, good morning, good evening and goodnight! (The Truman Show - another great movie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment