Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Another day in A'dam

Loving Amsterdam. What more can I say? One week from today I will be in Rotterdam to watch the 2010 World Gymnastics Championships. Click here to view the official website (in the event you would like to follow the excitement too).

Last night there was a soccer (or rather, football) game held here in Amsterdam between Holland and Sweden. Go Dutchies! We won 4-1. Living right in the centre of the city, there were people everywhere watching the game on giant TV screens. This picture is from Nieumarkt, just down the street from my apartment.

















Albert Heijn is like the Dutch version of Loblaws. It's the big Dutch chain grocery store. Here's my apple-mango-grape salad from Albert Heijn:

















My bed from the balcony =)


















 View from our balcony


 














I went to get a bike today. This would be attempt #4. Unsuccessful. This is Amsterdam people. Why is it so hard to find a bike? I waited until I got an apartment before buying a bike and now I can't get one. I either go on a day when they're closed, or they're not open yet for the day, or (like today) they don't have any that don't require "work." *Sigh* Luckily Jaewoo let me borrow his bike to go to a dinner tonight with some friends from work. We went to a squatters party. Apparently squatting is not forbidden by law in Amsterdam. But I've read recently that it is illegal, as of Oct 1?! However, "illegal" in Amsterdam isn't usually the same as "illegal" in other cities. Weed for example. Technically it's illegal. But it is tolerated, and people smoke it everywhere.

I still have to register with city hall since I will be here for over 3 months. You must register in person, however you must call and make an appointment to do so. Of course, when you call, the recording is in Dutch but if you wait long enough you get the option "press 2 for English" but what happens?! The recording keeps speaking in Dutch and eventually disconnects your phone call. I thought I chose the English option?! Guess not....

Tomorrow I will try, yet again, to get a bike. Now, it is time for some shut eye =)

No comments:

Post a Comment