Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Worlds tomorrow!!

I can't even tell you how excited I am about Worlds. 19 hours from now I will be sitting in the Ahoy Arena in Rotterdam watching the best gymnasts in the entire world compete for the title of best team on the planet. It's gonna be a wild night!

In the almost 7 weeks I've been in Holland, I've been trying to learn about their culture, trying different foods and attempting to learn Dutch. The most impressive sentence I know to date is "please pass the cheese" - I don't know how to spell it but it sounds like "Mack - A - De - Kass". I know this because I get to ask someone to pass me the cheese everyday at lunch. It's actually been really hard to learn Dutch because everyone speaks English so I haven't had many opportunities to practice Dutch - except when asking for the cheese at lunch (I've mastered that one) =)

















Albert Heijn - the big grocery store. They're everywhere in Holland - not just in A'dam. 

I've also tried some Dutch dishes. One really popular snack is to butter bread and put sprinkles on it. Sprinkles on bread? Don't know why it's so popular. Today I tried it for the first time at work. I don't think I'll have it again. I took a couple bites and ended up scraping the sprinkles off, adding peanutbutter to my bread and eating it that way.Everyone probably thought I was weird. Although people think I'm weird for eating ketchup with french toast. Try it. It tastes good! I think sprinkles belong on cake and ice cream. Not bread.Well, at least I tried it.

World Gymnastics Championships, women's team finals tomorrow!!! The competition starts at 5pm Rotterdam time (11am Toronto time). After the prelims (which were Sunday evening), Russia is ranked 1st, China 2nd and USA 3rd. Canada didn't make team finals (top 8). They placed 13th. At least they qualified to 2011 Worlds (top 24 teams). I'll be rooting for the Americans, however I have some favourite gymnasts from Russia, China and Australia. It's going to be amazing!

WORLDS!!!!!! I'M EXCITED! I'M EXCITED! I'M EXCITED!

2 comments:

  1. I love the hagel slag! It's chocolate, and chocolate goes with anything!!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will gets Hagel slag from his family every time they go to Holland - he loves it - I don't get it lol. I've had it a few times, and I just can't get the point of eating sprinkles on your toast - chocolate, okay - but sprinkles???

    ReplyDelete