Sunday, October 10, 2010

Weekend in The Hague

Saturday morning it was off to Den Haag (otherwise known as The Hague to us English speaking people) to visit Benny and Adrienne. They were our personal tour guides for the day. It was a really good weekend - the city is very different from Amsterdam. Den Haag (population: 500,000) is quite a bit smaller than Amsterdam (1,000,000) and is a lot quieter on the streets. There are definitely a lot less touists wandering around.

Here's Jaewoo on our train ride to Den Haag. 

















Den Haag City Hall by Richard Meier





















Jaewoo and Adrienne eating waffle cookies in downtown Den Haag

















Arriving at Madurodam!

















Madurodam is full of models of Holland at 1:25!  And there's big monster Benny...


















Here is Dam Square at 1:25. My apartment is about an 8 minute walk from Dam Square.

















I tried to make a "realistic" perspective of this church. Success? Maybe...

















Lying along the streets on "Mini-Holland"


















A mall downtown Den Haag, near Benny's apartment...





















...which reminds me of the BCE place in Toronto (below)





















Benny and I at Scheveningen Beach =)





















It was such a beautiful day =) And I got to walk in the ocean... felt the sand between my toes... unforgettable!!!





















Benny, Adrienne and I at the beach!


















Someone bungee jumping over the ocean. I wanted to try it soooo badly, but it was so expensive.





















Benny and I enjoying the evening by the ocean =)
















We treated ourselves to a nice dinner for thanksgiving weekend. Holland doesn't celebrate thanksgiving so we all have to work on Monday. BUT we decided why not celebrate on our own? I had steak tenderloin. It was delicious! (Picture is a little dark)










After dinner, we went to a club and danced all night. They actually played a lot of songs that I knew - and of course there were some Dutch/European songs I didn't recognize. It was a late night, then I stayed over at my wonderful friend, Adrienne's place. Really, really fun weekend =)

No comments:

Post a Comment