Friday, October 8, 2010

English lecture anyone? That's better!

English lectures are so much easier to follow than Dutch lectures!!! Last night Martijn, Stefania, Giovana and I had dinner together then went to a lecture on landscape architecture at the Academie van Bouwkunst. It was very interesting. It was in English so I actually understood it!! And they talked about a project with the Don River in Toronto! Woohoo Canada made it into the lecture!! Then afterwards we went to a bar and had some drinks. Really nice evening! Below is the lecture hall at the academie...

















At U of Waterloo we're not supposed to bring food or drinks into the lecture halls (though no one ever follows those rules). In Amsterdam, they have a bar so you can take beer into the lecture with you. Works for me =) Speaking of lectures, here's a picture from the lecture on Tuesday. It was taken by someone at my office and it was posted on the LEVS internal internet page the next morning. I'm in the picture!! I'm the purple/maroon sweater  near the front!!
















 




Below is a model that I've been working on for a good while now - photoshopping the facades, the base and building the actual model at 1:200. It was demolished today. It was just about finished (not quite finished) and my boss came over, looked at it and pointed out a whole bunch of things I had to fix; most of which were changes that no one had told me about. Ah... so I pretty much had to completely take it apart - the only thing I could reuse was the blue foam on the inside. So before the demolition, I whipped out my camera to take some pictures before the model turned into a pile of paper, foam and dried glue. 
























Improved design process is more valuable than a perfectly realized building. I shall remember this as I rebuild the model (click on the picture to view a larger size)












SOCCER NIGHT!! Or rather football (as they call it in Europe) with my office. Go Team LEVS! I had a lot of fun. We lost. By a lot. But it was fun. The other team was made up of pro soccer football players. All young, athletic guys. I've never played competitive soccer and I was the only girl on the field for most of the game. But hey it was fun to get out and play a game, and hang out with my fellow co-workers. And my boss took us out for drinks after the game!!! There's me with my LEVS Team shirt (the colours in the picture are kinda funky because I was playing with the effects in photoshop).




















Plans for tomorrow: Den Haag! Benny and Adrienne, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment