Monday, September 6, 2010

Day 4


So today wasn't the best of days (putting it nicely). It sort of started on the wrong foot (a foot with blisters from someone's new shoes) and never really got better. I don't wanna ramble and complain, but I guess it's good to mention there are good days and bad days. They are all part of the experience.

**Sorry for the lack of pictures today - I forgot my camera memory card in my computer last night, so although I had my camera with me, I couldn't take pictures of my wild adventure running all over the city.

Bank Run
First I went on a mad search for a bank to cash travelers' cheques so I could pay for my residence permit. Took me almost an hour to find a place that would cash my cheques - turned out it wasn't even a bank.
 
LEVS
Next I took the bus (first bus I've taken in Holland) to my office (LEVS Architecten) to pick up my work permit. They are very nice and the office is so cool - pictures to come later).

IND
Next I headed to the IND to apply for a "Regular Temporary Residence Permit." You need this if you're staying here more than 3 months. Apparently I needed a passport photo of myself, which I didn't have (for the residence card) so I had to find a photo-booth, which was tricky.

Mad hunt for photo-booth (unplanned)
I took a tram (first tram I've taken in Holland) to the mall which I was told had a photo studio. Turns out the mall didn't have one. So I ran around asking people for help and finally found one. Got the photo.

IND (visit #2)
Next took a train (first train I've taken in Holland) back to the IND. Handed in my pictures.

Tax Office
Went to the tax office to get a tax number so I can legally work. They told me I had to come back tomorrow morning. *Sigh* So next thing I had to do was to call city hall and make an appointment to go in and register. I call and the recordings are all in dutch. And when I got the option "press 2 for english" they kept talking in Dutch. I didn't know what to do, so I called my office and they said we'll sort it out tomorrow.

Metro Pass (attempt)
Last chore of the day was to get a monthly transit pass. I waited over an hour in line for a lady to tell me to go online, and fill something out and I will get my pass in the mail within 2-3 weeks. Wow... a sign could have told me that.

Dinner
I went to a nice little cafe for dins. Had french onion soup and a sprite. I have found the portions are big here and I can't seem to finish any full meals, so I tried a soup tonight and it filled me right up.

Bob's
Back to Bob's Hostel. If anyone has any leeds, ANY leeds at all for housing/apartments in Amsterdam please let me know. Bob's isn't a place I can spend much more time here. I will eventually go insane.

This is the ultra fancy and luxurious entrance

















This is the spectacular bathroom that I share with 19 other people. There is a hole in the door on the right (not sure where the door goes to) and what better way to fill the hole than to stuff it with toilet paper). Please notice there is no soap or mirrors in the bathroom, and the tap has cold water only.  The bathroom was relatively clean at this point. Usually there are rolls of toilet paper all over the floor.

















The reassuring signs: "When someone is in your bed" ...WHEN? Couldn't they use the term "IF"?? It makes it sound like it happens a lot. Although after staying in this hostel for 4 nights thus far, I can say "when" seems more appropriate.

















And the stairs... the stairs... (I don't know why, but these photos, and these photos only, will not rotate. Sorry. I guess it just adds to the feel of the pictures)





















And just to throw in a random photo for fun, here's a picture of inside the clothing store "New Yorker"

2 comments:

  1. omg jen.. your bathrooms and entire hostel looks SO creepy LOL! i don't know how you do it! be brave, little one =) I MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 jen!!
    And please don't die I'm sure things will get looking better soon AND then you can come and visit me in paris. Lots of love xoxox

    ReplyDelete