Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Shelter City

Hostel #2: Shelter City Christian Hostel. Located in the heart of the red light district. It makes for an interesting walk back from the bus stop after work. Click here to see their website. It's a nice hostel, just not in the best location. Though it is downtown and near Centraal Station so I can't complain too much.

The shelter is very clean, especially compared to Bob's Youth Hostel. Below is the cafe - they provide free breakfast but the cafe opens at 8am - just after I leave for work. So I only made it to breakfast once - on Sunday!


















I mentioned in a previous post that the staff at Bob's were super nice. The staff here are also extremely friendly. It makes the experience so much nicer.

Breakfast being served =)

















I am in an all girls' dorm - there are 16 people in my room. Sharing a room with so many people I am learning to be very tolerant about noise and such. When people keep me awake at night from the door opening and closing, I try to ignore it. When they make noise getting to their lockers, moving suitcases, talking, I ignore it. It's part of living in a hostel. However, I was yelled at this morning because my alarm went off and "people were trying to sleep." Unlike most people here who are touring Europe as a vacation, I have to work. I can't sleep in. I miss privacy. Maybe an apartment is in my near future =)

















There's a nice little garden off the cafe in the hostel. Unfortunately I haven't been able to sit outside yet - it's rained almost non-stop the past 5 days.


















A mailbox that delivers messages directly to God. No postage required.

















Work's going well. I cut myself with an exacto knife today. I almost got blood on our good model. Luckily, I only smeared my blood on a scrap piece of foam. *PHEW*

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm :/ Maybe a "i was trying to do that too... last night" would help to shush some people? No need to say more I think!

    Sending good house-finding thoughts your way Jen!

    ReplyDelete