Sunday, September 5, 2010

Out and About

Another adventure today. I am really loving this city. It's beautiful and it's so different than Canada. Now only if I could find an apartment. Please keep your fingers crossed for me =)

Today on my walk, get this: someone asked me for directions and (even more importantly) I was able to tell them where to go!!! There was this guy who was like "I'm sorry, I'm not from around here and I was told there is a place to rent bikes nearby but I can't find it" and... I told him where it was!!! I knew because the bike rental place was right across the street from my hostel. I felt so good that I've only been here 3 days and yet I was able to help someone out with directions!!!!

This morning I went to church at Sint Nicolaaskerk. The Mass was in Dutch. I didn't understand anything except for the words "God" and "Amen." Nice church though!


 


After church I went for lunch at a restaurant nearby. I had lasagna and a sprite. Came to 11,50 euro. The lasagna was so big!! I hardly made a dint in it! The restaurant had a lot of music we listen to back in Canada such as Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Usher and Hayley Williams. And it was funny listening to the announcers who would speak in Dutch. It sounded like "blah blah blah LADY GAGA blah blah"




Next I went on a Canal Cruise Tour of Amsterdam. It was very very interesting!! Amsterdam currently has about 1 million people and the city was named after the Amster River. Amsterdam is critically short on housing and because of this, many people have resorted to living in houseboats! The canals are FULL of houseboats - it's really cute!!!






























This is an old clock tower. It was nicknamed "Crazy Jack" because it couldn't keep time properly!!

















The apartment with the white marble balcony (in the centre) is the official residence of the mayor of Amsterdam!

















I guess it gets pretty crowded that even the bikes try to escape!

















There are approximately 100 canals in Amsterdam and over 1000 bridges throughout the city!

















Had my first beer here with Anshul today =) We had a nice dinner and we walked around the city and he showed me where all the popular pubs are.

2 comments:

  1. That church is BEAUTIFUL!

    Hahaha nice, I guess that means you can pass as a local there! :)
    I've been asked directions too, but I couldn't answer :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. solution: get a house boat!
    I'm half kidding. But only half...
    looks like you're having a good and busy time :)
    I've also been asked for directions and couldn't answer... and they were to a street that was right behind me *ahem*

    ReplyDelete